The foods you eat can greatly enhance your well being. Check out our list of 5 foods you can easily add into your daily diet to run and feel better.
1. Beets are scientifically proven to increase performance. Eat them fresh or conviently put Flora Red Beet Crystals into a smoothie.
2. Chia seeds are high in omega-3’s which reduce inflammation naturally. Also, just 2 tbsp of chia seeds give you the following RDA’s: 13% calcium, 41% iron, 19% magnesium and 20% selenium.
3. Quinoa is a staple in our diets. Just 1 cup of quinoa provides 39% B6, 22% folate, 75% iron, 47% magnesium and 27% zinc for your RDA and is only 222 calories. That is nutrient dense!
4. Goji berries are a superfood high in nutrients and one of the world’s highest sources of antioxidants. Goji berries are also an adaptogen that improves stamina and increases energy. Our favorite are Flora’s Heaven Mountain Goji Berries.
5. Sweet potatoes are another staple in our diet. The Okinawan’s, some of the longest living people’s on the planet, diet consisted of about 67% sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are nutrient dense and super tasty.
Lindsey’s favorite smoothie recipe:
2 T chia seeds
1 cup mixed berries
1 scoop Flora Beet Crystals
1 cup mixed greens
12 oz water or soy millk
handful of Flora goji berries
-Lindsey Hintz, M.S. in Holistic Nutrition and certified in Plant-based Nutrition from the T. Colin Cambell Center for Nutritional Studies at Cornell, the founder of Wholicious Living and an elite runner
We at Wholistic Running love to bring runners every advantage to better running…especially when it’s delicious. Enjoy this amazing recipe for dark chocolate maca truffles!
Maca is a powerful adaptogen, which is the main reason we consume this superfood on a regular basis, especially during heavy training and racing periods. Adaptogens help to diminish the affects of stress by aiding in the regeneration of the adrenal glands and tired muscle tissue. This in turn helps to recover more quickly so we are able to do more high quality workouts. It also helps to improve the quality of sleep by lowering cortisol levels. Another reason I consume maca is for its natural energy boosting abilities by nourishing the body, not adding stimulation. You can actually feel it working.
Dark Chocolate Chip No-Bake Maca Truffle Bites
1/4 C SHREDDED COCONUT
1/3 C ALMOND FLOUR
2 T COCOA POWDER
We here at Wholistic Running hope your running season is off to an amazing start. We’d like to help you stay injury-free and perform your best this year. With our Injury Prevention & Performance Plan, you’ll do just that. Our plans are individualized and designed specifically for YOU. They are $50 OFF through Memorial Day.
Chia seeds are perfect for runners! They are full of omega-3 fatty acids to reduce inflammation and tons of nutrients to help with recovery.
Chia Seed Pudding
1 1/4 c- 1 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
1/4 c chia seeds
1 T maple syrup or 5 drops stevia
1-2 dashes of cinnamon
1-3 drops vanilla or coconut extract (optional)
Mix all ingredients together and let sit 1-2 hours. Best when chilled. This will be one of the most delectable desserts you’ve ever eaten! **fun tip**Chia seeds can be used to replace eggs in any recipe. Combine 1T chia to 3 parts water = 1 egg, let sit until gel forms and wahla!