Runners often wonder if having a coach would be beneficial for them. For many runners a coach can be life changing but that doesn’t mean everyone needs a coach. It’s all about what your goals are and what you want to get out of running. To decide if a coach is right for you, here’s how a well qualified coach can help you the most.
- Keep you motivated: Your coach should provide you with not only the expertise in designing personalized training plans, but give you the confidence and tools to stay on track, succeed and most importantly have fun.
- Prevent injuries and over training: Getting injured is the #1 reason runners don’t reach their goals. A coach should provide you with the support and know how to prevent and manage injuries. There are many ways to do this including offering online technique analysis, proper training plan design focused on gradual progress and alternative tips specifically given for each individual such as foam rolling, stretching, strength training and nutritional support.
- Accomplish your goals: An expert coach should help you choose realistic but challenging goals AND help you accomplish and ideally exceed them. Everyone’s goals are different. Examples include running your fastest 5K, running without injury, finishing your first marathon or being the healthiest and fittest you’ve ever been.
- Provide comprehensive support: Invaluable coaches provide more than just generic training plans. They should be able to provide custom plans specifically designed around your life. A comprehensive approach results in the greatest results and should include nutritional guidance and running technique analysis which are essential to not just running your best but also feeling energized and thriving in life.
- Give you peace of mind: Training doesn’t always go to plan. Life gets in the way and a good coach will help you adapt your training plan accordingly. Training plans should not be set in stone. They should be fluid and easily adaptable when life becomes busy and it’s not possible to stick to the plan. An experienced coach understands this and provides the necessary support and guidance when this happens.
Wholistic Running has coached hundreds of runners over the past 10 years. Our approach is comprehensive so that runners accomplish their individual goals and thrive in life. To learn more about our coaching packages, visit our Coaching page.
Damian & Lindsey