If you’re not eating this super food daily, we highly suggest it. They are nutritious, full of antioxidants and may help with weight loss. For athletes, they are proven to increase performance while enhancing recovery. Learn about this food we eat daily and be sure to check out our delicious and healthy super food ice cream recipe below.
One of the most important ways, aside from antioxidants, that blueberries can positively affect your workout and health is through their ability to provide your body with high amounts of water. Since our bodies are composed almost primarily from water (about 70-75%), it is not surprise that we require high amounts of fluid in our bodies in order to achieve optimal results when exercising and for overall health. This is not only important to keep you from getting dehydrated, but is actually very important in promoting athletic performance. If you do not have enough water in your system, you can experience severe muscle cramps, lack of energy, brain fog, dizziness, nausea and poor digestion.
We eat them everyday in our post-workout or morning smoothies, but they go great topped on oatmeal or eaten alone. You can add them to salads and let the natural sweetness serve as your dressing. Blueberries can also be mixed in with a frozen banana to make a delicious ice cream. On hot days, eating frozen berries directly out of the bag is a great option, too. However you choose to do it, make it a point to eat loads of berries every day.
- 1-2 frozen bananas
- 3/4-1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup almond milk (optional, but helps with blending process)
- Remove the frozen fruit from the freezer, and let it sit for about five minutes, so it softens up a little bit.
- Put all ingredients in the blender, and start to blend, using the pulse button. It will be difficult to blend at first. (I make sure I have my tamper ready to help distribute the ingredients).
- Blend until very thick and smooth.
- Scoop out and serve immediately.
- Serves 2. It’s the perfect after dinner treat. It tastes so good, you’d think it wasn’t healthy.
-Lindsey Hintz is certified in Plant-Based Nutrition from Cornell and has a Masters in Holistic Nutrition. Damian and Lindsey offer nutritional coaching for athletes and non-athletes alike and specialize in weight loss, performance and overall health and energy. Find out more HERE